Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Challah back, girl!

I feel sad that I didn't make it to a friend's Cinco de Perro celebration this weekend (oddly enough, on the 5th of May). The oppressive weather, and the oppressive pile of things we've been avoiding (including laundry, cleaning, mowing the lawn, shopping for food, bills ... you know, all the normal things that normal people generally keep up on) were all waiting. Plus Lasso stopped by to work on his ev conversion and I really felt uncomfortable saying "hey, we're going to go drink with friends, see ya!" to him. So we mowed the lawn and worked on the chicken coop instead. It will be finished one day (I hope). I'm certain I won't be able to get chickens when it's finally done. *sigh*

But on a lighter note, we've been exploring the richer doughs in the culinary bread block. Our practical this Friday will be challah and brioche. I chose the "star" braid as it just seemed easier than the 5-strand braid. Call me crazy. Weird, but if we do a good job on it, we'll even get extra points. Don't know why. I think it's easier. But you have to work quickly. I think I have it down, but I've never seen any star braids but my own and the others in class. It's still pretty. And this isn't even a Char picture.

No comments: