Thursday, February 08, 2007

Cheese Board Lemon Shortbread Cookies

I learned a new lesson about sugar and spread in cookies today.

I wanted to make a treat for David and family to return with the cookbook he loaned me, but they spread too much and got too brown. They're tasty, but they don't look so fantastic, and they're a little on the crispy side, and not enough on the shortbread side. My first thought as to why was because I added too much sugar, even though I followed the recipe (even making my own candied lemon peel because I couldn't find it in the store. Candied lemon peel is deceptively easy to make. I've found a new treat).

So a little research (and some knowledge I already knew) pointed to the observation that sugar weakens the bond in the gluten, and this was a short cookie anyway (even though i used all-purpose flower, it was mostly butter and sugar -- very soft dough). So too much sugar will interfere with the structure of the cookie, but so will finer granulations. Because I inadvertently turned the sugar into powdered sugar when I was incorporating the candied lemon peel, I guaranteed ruin of the shape of the cookie. Next time, I'm going to add a little cornstarch, as that will theoretically prevent spread in a cookie, despite the finer grind.

Next time, better.

Cheese Board Lemon Shortbread Cookies
  • 1 cup + 1 Tbs sugar
  • 3/4 cup candied lemon peel
  • 1 cup unsalted softened butter
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the sugar and candied lemon peel in a blender or food processor. Be brief! Or try adding a little cornstarch - how much? I don't know (yet). In your mixer, combine the butter, sugar-lemon peel mix, and salt for about four minutes (until fluffy). Don't forget to scrape down the sides when done. Then, on low speed, add 1 1/3 cup of the flour and combine for about two minutes. If the dough isn't soft enough, add the remaining 1/3 cup about a tablespoon at a time until it is. Not sure what that means? I took it as "it's raining, so I'll need the rest of the flour". The dough was battery before I added the remaining flour. After I added the flour, it glonked around the mixer paddle.

Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into an oblong (yes, really). Then roll out with a floured rolling pin into a rectangular-ish shape 3/8 of an inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2" squares (huge) with a floured knife or ravioli cutter (I don't have a ravioli cutter, but the pizza roller was fun) and transfer to a a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper at least an inch apart using a spatula that has been lighlty floured first. They suggested that the recipe would fill three sheets. Not mine - I just got one. Not sure what when wrong there, but it may have affected the cooking temperature of my oven, too. Anyway. 15 minutes in the center, turn, and another 10 or until lightly browned. Cool a little by placing the sheet on an inverted cooling rack. The cookies are really soft and will burn you if you try to eat one. But they're really good with a cup of tea (try Republic of Tea's Botswana Blossom Red Tea. Yum!)

No comments: